Monday, December 31, 2007


As most of you know, last year I signed up for and ran my first Marathon with Team In Training. I started out with selfish reasons...lose stubborn baby fat, get in shape, check another item off of my list "To Do". But almost immediately after I began my training, I discovered the a deeper meaning to the adventure I had begun....Team In training is a part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. This Society has been around for 20 years now. It has raised BILLIONS, of dollars to help fund the research to cure this thing called cancer. It in fact has been the primary funding source behind a drug called Glevac that is keeping SO many cancer patients alive right now. Another fact about The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society it that 75% of the funds raised by Team In Training participants, (leaving only 25% to pay for the rest of running a HUGE non-profit) goes directly back to the mission...which is to "Cure Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin's Disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families" Now that is alot of money...75% of do the math!

Being a part of the Team, you have an "Honoree" assigned to your small group. This is someone who is a cancer survivor or is currently undergoing treatment. They are there to tell their story, to encourage you, and be a part of your training...when I was running my longest runs, in pain from my toes to my hip and more, I just remembered that it was NOTHING compared to what a cancer patient is going through. At the end of my training, and since our Team has lost 2 of our honorees to cancer. This is why we should never stop, until there is a cure. This is why I am not only lucky enough to be a permanent part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as a staff member, but I once again signed up to complete an event and raise funds for this cause.

So maybe if you are reading this, maybe you too have been touched by cancer...I know my life has. Maybe you want to be part of the cure too. So, I say..maybe join the Team yourself. Maybe accomplish personal goals. Maybe lose a couple of pounds. Maybe make friends for life with Team mates. But Maybe, just maybe, maybe...raise that $1, or $10 that finds the cure for cancer. Or if you don't have time to do it yourself...up there at the left hand side of my page is a link to my fundraising page...give me a buck or two. And maybe someday, there won't be a need for an organization like Team In Training. Go ahead! Create a world where the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society isn't needed. Go ahead.

No comments: