Monday, January 21, 2008

Should she stay or should she go now.....


This is Maggie....the dog, not the child. She recently came to live with us. She is sweet, adorable, and oh so cuddly....but she is also a puppy, who lives in a house with 3 children under the age of 4. She pees inside, outside, and just recently pooped on our couch. Making my husband and I rethink this whole puppy thing.

So the voting has begun...should she stay or should she go?
Let me give you some quick facts to help sway your vote one way or the other..

1. We are putting in a fence so that she can have her own yard to run and play. It will be completed this week...

2. If we give her away, it will be her third home in 3 weeks.

3. My kids could possible be heartbroken...

4. My carpet cleaning bill will go down.

5. My hours of sleeping will go up.

6. The dream of my kids growing up with a dog, will go away.
7. My husband and I are HUGE dog lovers...

7 comments:

mommyof2galz said...

I say she stays...but I do like clean carpets too :)

ped crossing said...

Her puppyhood will only last a short while. Train her, train her, train her and she will be a wonderful addition to the family.

I say keep her. However, with all those little kids, you will have your work cut out for a while.

susan said...

Puppies are a lot of work...just think of how many diapers you've had to change.

I'm sure as soon as that pup is given a stable home and properly trained she'll be a wonderful addition to your family. If you want a dog, you've either got to go through this rough training time or start with an older one. Just a couple things to think about....

Good luck with your decision

eclecticblog said...

Just went through the puppy stage but my kids weren't all under the age of 4. Yikes!! That's alot for you do deal with and I'm guessing it would be you with hubby working and kids too small to help.

It was mainly me who had to do the puppy training for our new puppy even though my kids are 11 and under, it was still me. I would get up at night with her but it was very short lived and our puppy has been housebroken for months and it is something long forgotten for me. It was so worth the effort. I love our puppy.

What I did that worked for us was take our puppy outside every hour. If she had an accident I told her ,"bad!" and took her outside right away. Also I used a kennel when I couldn't be following her all over the house and for when we'd be gone. You can also use the kennel at night to sleep. Do a google on crate training and you'll get some great tips for the kennel. Good luck!!

Pamela said...

she's a puppy. She'll learn to behave.

The hardest part is to be consistent and train her.

tssssst! Call the dog whisperer (:

Cynthia said...

Get a grown dog.

We breed maltese, but they have never been kept inside. The dog that is in is a stratythat adopted us. He has never hurt anything. Never had an accident.

drewsmom said...

That's hard a hard one. Puppies, I have decided, are never a good idea. It's like having another child and unless you have the time, it is very hard work. I would be upset about the pooping and peeing in the house. Also, you know all the work of taking care of her will be for you to do. I would probably have to give her up.